Wednesday 29 December 2010

Inside Mandelbrot's Mind

Here's a post about two older fractals I made for Benoît Mandelbrot :)

As some of you might know, Benoît Mandelbrot died Octobe
r 14th 2010 at the age of 85.
From Wikipedia:
"Benoit B. Mandelbrot(20 November 1924 – 14 October 2010) was a Franco-American mathematician. Born in Poland, he moved to France with his family when he was a child. Mandelbrot spent much of his life living and working in the United States, acquiring dual French and American citizenship.

Mandelbrot worked on a wide range of mathematical problems, including mathematical physics and quantitative finance, but is best known as the father of fractal geometry. He coined the term fractal and described the Mandelbrot set. Mandelbrot extensively popularized his work, writing books and giving lectures aimed at the general public."

So, like many other fractal artists, I decided to make a fractal in memory of Benoît. The first fractal I made was "Apparition Of Sorrow", which was made in Ultra Fractal using the mandelbrot formula. The mandelbrot-shape itself was not visible in this one because I tweaked the formula a lot, but it was still a mandelbrot fractal. This one was quite popular on DeviantART and I'm pretty happy with it myself :)

A little while after I and many others had posted our tributes to Benoît Mandelbrot, the gallery director of the Fractal Gallery decided to arrange a Mandelbrot tribute contest. The contest required that the Mandelbrot-shape was clearly visible in the fractal, and after weeks of dabbling and tweaking in UF, I finally came up with this: "Inside Mandelbrot's Mind"

Although I didn't win anything, I'm still really happy about this one. All three images are from the same fractal and I put them together in Photoshop. At the time I was obsessed with triptychs and diptychs, so of course it was impossible for me to submit anything else for that contest =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...